Whole Wheat Veggie Pizza
Recipe by: Dominic Businaro
Green peppers, black olives, onion and diced tomatoes on a whole wheat crust with marinara sauce.
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup diced green peppers
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp minced oregano
- 1 tsp minced parsley
- In a large mixing bowl combine yeast and sugar. Add hot water to yeast mixture and let stand for 5 minutes or until mixture is foamy.
- Mix olive oil and salt into yeast mixture.
- Mix in whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Pour dough onto a flat, floured surface and knead until flour has been absorbed and dough becomes smooth.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and rotate to coat. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and let stand until dough has doubled (about 1 hour).
- Pour dough onto lightly floured surface. Pound dough down with your fist and then allow to rise for another 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degress F.
- Using your fingers and palms form dough into circular shape. Transfer desired size pizza dough onto oiled pizza pan.
- Using a large spoon, evenly coat with marinara sauce.
- Top with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Then top with the green peppers, black olives and onions.
- Top with 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Then top with the diced tomatoes and finally the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Season with Parmesan cheese, garlic, oregano, and parsley.
- Bake at 425 degrees F. for 17 to 21 minutes or until crust is golden brown and crisp.